July 07, 2010

Motherhood

Well I guess it's time to post this video.
Two of my friends already did.
I've saved this post as a draft for a while now,
and then never had the time to post it for real.
I love the message that is in this video.



And here are a couple of quotes that I love from the book that my mother gave me.
Some mothers seem to have the capacity and energy to make their children's clothes, bake, give piano lessons, go to Relief Society, teach Sunday School, attent parent-teacher meetings, and so on. Other mothers look upon such women as models and feel inadequate, depressed, and think they are failures when they make comparisons... Sisters, do not allow yourselves to be made to feel inadequate or frustrated because you cannot do everything others seem to be accomplishing. Rather, each should assess her own situation, her own energy, and her own talents, and then choose the best way to mold her family into a team, a unit that works together and supports each other. Only you and your Father in Heaven know your needs, strengths, and desires. Around this knowledge your personal course must be charted and your choices made.
- Marvin J. Ashton.

Motherhood is the greatest potential influence either for good or ill in human life. The mother's image is the first that stamps itself on the unwritten page of the young child's mind. It is her caress that first awakens a sense of security; her kiss, the first realization of affection; her sympathy and tenderness, the first assurance that there is love in the world.
- David O. McKay
I admit, the first quote struck me real hard.
I am the kind of person who cannot do many things in one day with a baby around.
I can't imagine how it will be like when we have 2 or 3 or 5 kids.
Often times I find that I'm comparing myself to other mothers who can do so much & who are so talented that it makes me feel I'm not supposed to be a mother right now - that I still lack so many things necessary to be a mother.
I always feel I should be working at some company right now, helping my husband earn some income.
At times I feel helpless and really inadequate to have a family.
But whenever our son runs to me with a big smile,
whenever he cries and looks at me for comfort,
whenever he sucks his thumb and leans his head against my chest,
whenever he kisses my lips,
whenever his eyes are staring deeply into mine,
whenever he pulls all the funny tricks he has,
I always feel we've made the right choice.
It is the selfish side of me that makes me feel I'm not supposed to be a mother.
Well, I AM supposed to be a mother.
I AM a mother.
I am happy that I am a mother.
And there is no greater calling for me than to be a loving wife and mother.

1 comment:

  1. I love this post, Lois! I really love the quotes too, but your thoughts are spot on! Caleb is blessed that he has you for his mother!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)