September 26, 2010

Comforting...


One of my many weaknesses is probably comforting people.
I've had this ever since my friends started opening up 
their problems to me in high school -
yes, high school!
You know, that's when your friends think
they're madly in love with their crush and if they 
caught them courting someone else, 
they get jealous and all that.
Or as for my "boy" friends (friends that are boys) then,
they'd ask me what to do to win the heart of
"their girl."
I always thought then that I was so good at
giving advice and comforting my friends.
Well, I'm wrong.
I didn't realize it until later in my life -
in my mid-20's -
that I am not good at this.. at all!
I am always speechless and lost for words
whenever my friends opened up to me,
either by chatting or face-to-face.
Sure, I know that listening is the best thing I could do.
But most of the time I wish
there was something I could say that would make them feel better.
But I don't.
I don't know how to feel in their situation because most
of the time I've never experienced it before.
And even if I have, I still don't know what to say.
I don't know if I can say, "I know what you're going through..."
because I'm not sure if I really do.
I'm not even sure most of the time if they like to hear me say "I'm sorry." 
What do you think?

Comforting people is really something I still need to work on.
But for now, I can lend my two ears to listen to them.

3 comments:

  1. Ya, I know what you mean, I'm like that too. But I think sometimes a listening ear really is all that they need. Sometimes, i notice that if I tell someone something that one, it feels good to get it off my chest, and two, after i hear myself saying it, then I can see the solution better than if I just keep it in. So keep on listening girl. And if you really do need to say something, I think the Lord will prompt you.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Never underestimate the value of being a good listener...topped off with a hug:)

    Love your header! I thought I was on the wrong page:)

    ReplyDelete
  3. Lois, I can relate to this. I am not a good adviser but i can assure you that I am a good listener. Sometimes we don't need advices. All we need sometimes is someone who will listen to us. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)