December 13, 2010

Happy Birthday

Okay, so besides aspiring to become a professional photographer someday (which I am thinking of giving up on), I am fond of paper crafts, mainly making greeting cards. I still haven't perfected it that much, though. I'm not the kind of person who makes elaborate cards like those you see at Martha Stewart tutorials or what-not. I like my cards simple, not too heavy, and not too crowded. I still think that some of the elaborate cards I see online (like Scrapbooking.com, Twopeasinabucket.com, etc) were really cute and beautiful. I honestly want to be able to make something like those cards someday. I just love making our own greeting cards!

Things I like about handmade cards: First, it's much more personal/sentimental because you're thinking of the person while you are making it and at the same time thinking of the message that will go with it. Second, it saves us at least a little bit of money a year from constantly buying those readymade cards by Hallmark (though I love their cards!) and third, I'm enjoying doing what I do. It always makes me feel good being able to make something with papers, scissors, and adhesives. Oh, and rubberstamps and inks! :)

I use readymade cards every now and then, though, when I can't find the time to make one. This Christmas, I badly wanted to make our Christmas greeting cards but I didn't have enough things to make them (cardstock/paper-wise, sticker-wise, and stamps-wise). Maybe next year. 


It's been a long time since I made a greeting card because I just love playing with our son when he's awake (even though you see me online on Facebook, it doesn't mean I'm facing the computer the whole time). But lo and behold, a special occasion is coming up for a special someone in our lives. My mother-in-law recently celebrated her birthday. I was thinking about her ever since December hit the world and what I could make for her. Well, she always sends us cards for our birthdays and whenever there is a holiday, so I thought of sending her a handmade card. I made this simple card for her:
To the sweetest mother,
mother-in-law,
and grandmother that we know, Happy Birthday (again)!
We love you so much!

5 comments:

  1. I love my card! This post is so sweet; I got a little choked up:) This mother, mother-in-law, and grandmother loves you all so much!

    Please don't give up your photography dreams!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Lois, the card looks soooo CUTE! I have a gazillion of embellishments that I would LOVE to give you.(and some stamps and inks). Maybe I will send them to you when u come back from your vacation.

    ReplyDelete
  3. i should have asked you first if you were interested. ;)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I agree with your mom-in-law don't give up your photography dreams it will be good for you. I promise!

    And I am amaze cause I don't have a talent for scrap booking etc.I don't even know what my talent is.lol

    Anyway LOVE the cards and keep doing what you love to do.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Ang ganda, Nak, ng design pati ang message.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)