March 28, 2011

Of Things That Matter Most

Yesterday at Church, we had a nice lesson about Pres. Uchtdorf's
last year's Oct. General Conference talk titled,
"Of Things That Matter Most"
I think it's pretty interesting that, 
just two years after the prophet Pres. Monson's General Conference talk,
Pres. Uchtdorf reminded us again of things that matter most in this life.

What matters most is not our personal things/properties
(car, gadgets [cellphones, etc], or Facebook accounts),
or our jobs (though it's a necessity),
or our "status" as an individual
(Best Actress? Miss America? CEO?),
but it's our relationship with our Heavenly Father and our Savior,
our relationship with our family, friends, and our fellowmen.
Most of us know this already,
but a lot of us (if not all) still take it for granted.



It's been really "busy" in this world lately - even if it doesn't have to.
What I meant by that is - of course, we need to go to work
and all that to provide for our family.
But what are we doing when we are not at work?
When we are at home?

What are our priorities?
Is it work? Is it family? Is it ourselves? Our material things?
I think it helps us focus on things that matter most
when we know what our priorities are.

Example:

These days, technology is definitely a great "invention."
I do believe that Heavenly Father gave those bright minds to the people
whose been inventing these great technologies for our time
so these technologies can be put to good use.
Because of it, we can watch the upcoming General Conference this weekend
via the internet.
Because of it, we can stay connected with our family faster
(cellphones, email, or chat rooms)
than it ever did in decades past.
We can now search for things we don't know
or not too familiar about pretty easily
without having to go to a public library
and rack up all the shelves to find what we're looking for.

I can go on and on about the advantages of technology.
But everything has its pros and cons.
Technology, if not used right, can be a distraction too.

 Take our groovy mobile phones, for example.
They're almost like - well, they ARE, handheld computers now
(at least that's how I see it).
You can surf the web, take photos and videos, play games, etc.
It's really beneficial and useful
(I love my husband's GPS on his phone).
But sometimes we spend too much time with it that it's hard to ever have
a good, nice, FOCUSED conversation with family and friends these days
w/o us fidgeting around these things at the same time.
Other 'distractions' to our priorities can be
videogames, computers, iPods, our household chores,
even our own hobbies.

I like technology. I think it is great.
I just think there should be limits to everything.

I am a stay-home wife and mother - full-time.
My priority is not the material things we have.
It is my relationship with our Father in Heaven and our Savior,
and my relationship with my family.

I know for myself that I try to get as much things done as I could
around our home as long as we don't have visitors.
I get so busy sometimes even to the point that our son has been
playing on his own for most hours of the day (usually Mondays).
Sometimes there's nothing I can do about it
(like when I clean our bathrooms -
I don't want him to smell the chemicals so I keep him inside his bedroom).
But sometimes I can do chores and play with him at the same time if I want to.
(like laundry days).

I've tried this past year to spend as much "quality" time as I could
with our son and not with the chores that needs to get done,
or being on the computer for a long time.
I try to stay away from the computer throughout the day each day
as long as our son is awake.
Sometimes I'm successful, sometimes I'm not.
I do get the chores done in a timely manner, and I get to reply
to my messages on my online accounts (like Facebook) all the time.
But I always make sure I spent the same amount of time (or even more)
with our son as I did with the chores around the house.
It actually is my main reason growing up why I wanted to stay home with
my kids - to spend time quality with them and take care of them.

Now our son is taking a nap - I AM ABLE TO BLOG!
As I am writing this post (with my thoughts scattered all around, obviously),
it makes me think at the same time if what I've been doing was enough.
I feel there is still a lot of room for improvement.

To be able to see what matters most,
I think about what I will take with me when I leave this earth -
the eternal perspective.
It's gonna be all about what I did while I was here.
Did I live my life on earth doing my best to be as "worthy" as I can be
to keep entering the Temple of the Lord?
Did I live it full of memories of my family with me,
and not with material things?
Did I share my blessings & have given service to my fellowmen enough?
More than enough?
Things like that. You know.

I have a couple of goals this... month (baby steps!)
First is to improve my spiritual well-being.
Second is to improve my relationship with my family.
These are what matters most to me.


I challenge you to make your goals too! :)

2 comments:

  1. Great post, great goals, and great challenge, Lois! I must say that the navigator feature(and you:)) came in pretty handy driving around Las Vegas:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)