July 12, 2011

Toddler Bed

My days of good night's rest has ended 2 months earlier than my anticipated time (new baby's first week)... it was when we switched C from this:


... to this: 


He loves his new big boy bed - and also the freedom that came with it - freedom to get out of his room AS MANY TIMES AS HE WANTS whenever he wants to, even if it is at 3 in the morning (or earlier). I like that he likes his bed - but I don't like the fact that he can get out now whenever he wants to. 

He won't really cry whenever he woke up in the middle of the night, though. He'll just silently walk up to my side of our bed, pat me gently on my back (or touch my cheeks) 'til I wake up and wait for me to go back with him in his room to put him back to bed. Then I'll go back to our room, and a few minutes later he's back again. Sometime's he'll stop doing it after a while but I am just so tired to keep doing it that I resort to lying down next to his bed. We have a foldable cushion/mattress (whatever that was called) lying on the floor next to his bed for whenever I need to stay with him in the middle of the night. It isn't the most comfortable place to sleep in for me right now but at least I won't have to get up and walk back and forth in the middle of the night for the whole night. At least with the cushion, I can just reach out my hands to C whenever he wakes up and he'll go back to sleep.

We've thought about putting him back in his crib (and I'm still thinking about it) but I just don't want to go back there and start on the toddler bed someday all over again - especially on the days that we have our newborn. That will be tougher than now, so I want to get him used to it now. Me staying with him for a while (and then leaving him alone after a few weeks or so) always worked when he was getting used to his crib, so I hope it will still work with his big boy bed.

Well... I am glad to say I think I've found the trick to it! When he was using his crib, he didn't mind his door being shut or at least he didn't say so or act like it. Last night, he cried (for the first time) each time I closed the door - 'til I left it open and let some light in. He stayed there the whole night 'til 5:45am this morning (an improvement, actually). I'm currently doing it right now again for his nap (the door's wide open) and he hasn't gone out yet. I can't say yet if this trick works because he normally stays in his bed for naps 'til he falls asleep, but not for bed time. So we'll see tonight. Wish me luck! If you have any suggestions to share, please feel free to let me know! :) 

5 comments:

  1. good job on your drivers license! And good luck with the bed thing, it souns like you have a good plan.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Good luck! I don't think you're alone with this problem:) Perhaps you can get him a special Big boy bed buddy( stuffed animal) that he can hug whenever he feels the need to get up and go to your side. Hopefully keeping the door open is the answer. Summer's kids like to sleep with their door open too.

    ReplyDelete
  3. I don't know the trick.If you found a trick let me know okay.mwah

    ReplyDelete
  4. Glad you've found the solution to his frequent night visits. That would have driven me nuts. Thankfully Makua didn't really try to get out of his bed when we switched him out of the crib.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Hope it will work out. :) Moms (and Dads) are good at figuring things out for their kids. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)