November 14, 2011

Note to Self - It Is What God Gave You Time For

There are so many things I want to do but I 'chose' not to because I have other priorities - our kids. But there are days that I sometimes wish I could just disappear and do everything I want (my hobbies mostly). Of course, I am thankful for our sons but I guess I can say it's also just human for me to sometimes wish that I can spend a lot of time for myself - to read books, to scrapbook, to go to places (w/o kids in tow), etc. 

Tonight my husband read something to us (yes, including our two sons) as we all just "hung-out" in our bedroom - actually ON our queen size memory foam bed. It was a talk given by Elder Neil L. Andersen on last month's General Conference. There was one paragraph that really hit home to me. He said:
Many voices in the world today marginalize the importance of having children or suggest delaying or limiting children in a family. My daughters recently referred me to a blog written by a Christian mother [not of our faith] with five children. She commented: "[Growing] up in this culture, it is very hard to get a biblical perspective on motherhood. ... Children rank way below college. Below world travel for sure. Below the ability to go out at night at your leisure. Below honing your body at the gym. Below any job you may have or hope to get." She then adds: "Motherhood is not a hobby, it is a calling. You do not collect children because you find them cuter than stamps. It is not something to do if you can squeeze time in. It is what God gave you time for."

Well, that being said, I felt guilty right away and thankful (for that message) at the same time. She (whoever she is) is right: motherhood is a calling. Never mind my hobby to make greeting cards or read books.  My calling is with my family. We (my husband and I) are raising God's children and He entrusted us to meet their needs physically, emotionally, and spiritually (with His help). It is indeed a divine calling. My family is what God gave me time for. I have to remember that.



Side note: I love stamps but children are definitely CUTER than stamps. Hehe!

7 comments:

  1. What a BEAUTIFUL message! And you're absolutely right! Thank you for living what you believe and for blessing many lives because of your obedience and understanding! We're going to spotlight you on our blog today as you are a great example of what we're all about!
    Blessings to you and your precious family.
    Heidi G.
    MormonMomsWhoBlog

    ReplyDelete
  2. Agree. I don't know how will I find time to read when I have two kids.That's why I am soaking up all the free time that I get when Darren is asleep to actually do I wanted to do. On the other hand, having an hour time to self,even if it is only once a week, to do whatever you want.Either to get out or read a book is pretty rejuvenating.You will be back to your family/kids with so much love to give because you give yourself a time.A time to think,a time to miss them, a time to take car of yourself (emotionally,mentally,or physically).

    ReplyDelete
  3. Not sure if I get to save my first comment\.But if not message me I will post it again. :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. I know what you mean! I sometimes want to have a "babymoon" but leave jacob and just go by myself and do everything I want to do. Hehe.. So don't feel bad. It's normal. But I like this quote too. It's humbled me because I feel like I'm constantly trying to find time to be a good mom. But then I heard that and I realized that I have all the time for it and that's what my time given to me by god is for.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Thanks for visiting my blog, Lois! This post was very meaningful, and I love the quote about motherhood being a calling. Enjoy these days while your children are small, they are the sweetest years.

    ReplyDelete
  6. I know it can be difficult, but try to savor this time, it really does go by so fast...and then you wil have more time for your other interests. Thanks for sharing that great quote!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)