November 08, 2011

Note to Self - Babies Don't Keep

I loved the lesson given by our Relief Society President at our Relief Society class last Sunday. It was very timely for me. In summary, we were reminded that our children are what's important, not our things that we have or that we need to get done. Sometimes I tend to worry so much about keeping our house clean and organized. She shared a poem to one of the sisters and I asked our RS President to email it to me too... as a note to myself...

Cooking and cleaning can wait 'till tomorrow,
For babies grow up,
We've learned to our sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs,
Dust go to sleep,
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.







Here's the whole poem (not sure if it's the original) from my searches on the Web:

Song for a Fifth Child
by Ruth Hulburt Hamilton

Mother, oh Mother, come shake out your cloth
Empty the dustpan, poison the moth
Hang out the washing and butter the bread,
Sew on a button and make up a bed.
Where is the mother whose house is so shocking?
She's up in the nursery, blissfully rocking.

Oh, I've grown shiftless as Little Boy Blue
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo)
Dishes are waiting and bills are past due,
(pat-a-cake, darling, and peek, peekaboo)
The shopping's not done and there's nothing for stew
And out in the yard there's a hullabaloo
But I'm playing Kanga and this is my Roo.
Look! Aren't her eyes the most wonderful hue?
(Lullaby, rockaby, lullaby loo)

The cleaning and scrubbing will wait till tomorrow
For children grow up, as I've learned to my sorrow.
So quiet down cobwebs. Dust go to sleep.
I'm rocking my baby and babies don't keep.

5 comments:

  1. ditto. i needed that too. was planning on cleaning the bathroom but nobody nap. so....change of plans.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Thanks for sharing. Lois. Very touching, and I love the message.

    ReplyDelete
  3. This made me cry,simply because I am really feeling down today.This poem is just what I need.

    ReplyDelete
  4. thanks for posting the whole poem, i'd only ever heard the last verse. I'll have to copy it.

    ReplyDelete
  5. This is true. Family first, time flies so fast, we could never bring it back, we just realize the chances are gone.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)