December 08, 2011

my favorite CHRISTmas song

It's that time of the year when it's considered "legal" (figuratively) to play Christmas songs. It's all over the place - radio stations, shopping malls, TV commercials/shows, etc. I love it because I love the spirit these songs bring about Christmas, especially if those songs are indeed about our Savior (not Santa. Gosh, I hate "Santa Baby")

My husband and I have the same favorite Christmas song (well, at least he said so just recently). It's been my favorite since I was a little girl, maybe because I liked the melody even though I didn't understand much of the lyrics back then. The melody is so powerful, it always gives me the goosebumps.

Then one day, while we were visiting my relatives in California during the holidays (and attended their ward at church), this young man sang my favorite song. Only, I didn't know the COMPLETE lyrics before then. So when I heard him sing it with parts of the lyrics I've never heard before, I almost bawled. He sang it so well and so powerful and meaningful, I totally felt the message of the song. Before that day, I didn't pay so much attention to the song even though it was my favorite because I heard it all the time. But ever since that day, I always, ALWAYS stop and listen to the song and relish the whole meaning of it as it plays on our computer/radio.

I've attached a video below to go along with the song although it's not really the whole song in it. I'm having a hard time finding someone on Youtube with a complete lyrics of this song. As you read the lyrics & listen to the video, try not to overlook the message of the song no matter how very familiar it already is for you. I was actually singing it in my head as I was typing it here and I got the goosebumps again. The message is sweet.




O holy night! The stars are brightly shining,
It is the night of our dear Saviour's birth.
Long lay the world in sin and error pining,
'Til He appear'd and the soul felt its worth.
A thrill of hope the weary world rejoices,
For yonder breaks a new and glorious morn.

Fall on your knees! O hear the angels' voices!
O night divine, O night when Christ was born;
O night divine, O night, O night Divine.

Led by the light of Faith serenely beaming,
With glowing hearts by His cradle we stand.
So led by light of a star sweetly gleaming,
Here come the wise men from Orient land.
The King of Kings lay thus in lowly manger;
In all our trials born to be our friend.

He knows our need, to our weakness is no stranger,
Behold your King! Before Him lowly bend!
Behold your King, Before Him lowly bend!

Truly He taught us to love one another;
His law is love and His gospel is peace.
Chains shall He break for the slave is our brother;
And in His name all oppression shall cease.
Sweet hymns of joy in grateful chorus raise we,
Let all within us praise His holy name.

Christ is the Lord! O praise His Name forever,
His power and glory evermore proclaim.
His power and glory evermore proclaim.

3 comments:

  1. Very beautiful! Thanks for sharing. I loved reading the lyrics. The girl's voice reminds me of Karaline's singing voice:)

    ReplyDelete
  2. The last four verses are not part of the original song but they are indeed very meaningful.

    It is one of the Christmas songs that gives me a very reverent feeling every time I listen to it or sing it. I am not good at singing but surprisingly I can sing it well even at the highest note (I think). :)

    ReplyDelete
  3. its a great song and that girl is amazing!

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)