February 15, 2012

Note to Self - Comparing Ourselves to Others

 I'm trying to limit my time now on internet use that's why I haven't posted in my blog lately.

I love Pinterest. I love "pinning" stuff that I want to do. I love getting tips on how to clean this or how to make that. I love seeing do-it-yourself crafts, homemade alternatives for household cleaners, and lessons for our kids. Sadly, though, because I'm such a lazy bum with these kind of stuff, I just keep on pinning and never get to do a thing which then led me to feeling down about myself. All these things I want to make and the physical change I want to do (believe it or not I have a board for make-up and hairstyles and outfits because I don't dress up like a girl), I just can't seem to do them. And yet some mothers can. And when I am about to feel sorry for myself, I keep reverting my head back to this quote (which I also found on Pinterest):
I love this talk from Pres. Uchtdorf from last year's General Conference entitled "Forget Me Not." Let me add some more of what he said:

"In the meantime, be thankful for all the small successes in your home, your family relationships, your education and livelihood, your Church participation and personal improvements. Like the forget-me-nots, these successes may seem tiny to you and they may go unnoticed by others, but God notices them and they are not small to Him. If you consider success to be only the most perfect rose or dazzling orchid, you may miss some of life's sweetest experiences." - Dieter F. Uchtdorf

And there's also this one from the book that my mom gave me when my husband and I lived in Hawai'i:

"Some mothers seem to have the capacity and energy to make their children's clothes, bake, give piano lessons, go to Relief Society, teach Sunday School, attend parent-teacher association meetings, and so on. Other mothers look upon such women as models and feel inadequate, depressed, and think they are failures when they make comparisons . . . Sisters, do not allow yourselves to be made to feel inadequate or frustrated because you cannot do everything other seem to be accomplishing. Rather, each should assess her own situation, her own energy, and her own talents, and then choose the best way to mold her family into a team, a unit that works together and support each other. Only you and your Father in Heaven knows your needs, strengths, and desires. Around this knowledge your personal course must be charted and your choices made." - Marvin J. Ashton

There are a lot of things I need to work on myself, that I know for sure. I am not perfect and I don't do things perfectly. I am not a superwoman who can go to work, take care of our kids, make some crafts or sew some blankets, or what have you all at the same time. I can't even remember what I learned in my major. I am not good with a lot of things and I don't know a lot of things that other people my age know. It sometimes makes me feel stupid and dumb. But what I know is that despite my imperfections and weaknesses (that I'm still working on), I know that I love my husband and our kids so much and that I am trying to improve as a wife and mother. I have a husband who loves me for who I am and is really patient with my weaknesses. Our children loves me, too, and they trust that I can give them love and comfort. I also know that Heavenly Father knows me more than I know myself, and that He loves me. And through His help, I can improve on things I want to improve on based on my "... own situation, [my] own energy, and [my] own talents."

8 comments:

  1. Uchtdorf's talk will go down as a classic:) I especially love the part of the quote you noted, regarding comparing ourselves to others, when he said we are "usually comparing our weaknesses to their strengths." Isn't that the truth!?! We are not robots, and no one is perfect. We are each unique and all have something wothwhile to add to the mix~whether it be to our family, friends, church, or the world. XOXO!

    ReplyDelete
  2. I couldn't agree more!Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  3. super like! so true. love you lois... :)

    ReplyDelete
  4. Hi Lois!
    Just so you know...I am a Pinterest pinner too who does a lot more pinning that executing the projects :). I really like the quotes you found. I think they're great reminders as to what really matters in this life. No one is going to be carting a wagon full of Pinterest projects to heaven (although they are fun to make :)), but we will take our relationships so don't think you aren't making a difference for your cute little family. Besides, right now with little kids we are in the trenches so to speak...one day we will be in a different season of life and able to make projects and crafty things.

    ReplyDelete
  5. P.S. You did make the Christmas ornaments from a "pin", right? They are fabulous:)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The one from C was a "pin." The one from J, I just came up with it.

      Delete
  6. You are right, Nak. Heavenly Father knows you and loves you and He knows the desires of your heart.

    ReplyDelete
  7. YOU are one I The people I look up to and can't compare myself to! Thanks for posting....one ways I've found to not feel so down is to not check blogs and pinterest much - If I don't know all the amazing things others are doing I won't compare myself to them! : )

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)