August 12, 2012

My Annual "I'm-a-Year-Older" Week

Well what do you know? I'm closing in to the 3-oh age.

When we moved in on to this new house we are renting, I was determined to finish unpacking all of our things at least a day before my birthday. That gave me about five days total. I was unsure at first if I could make it in five days, what with having two kids to tend to as well. But we made it in one whole day, starting from when we moved out. We moved out on a Saturday morning, and we finished doing everything (cleaning the old house and unpacking at the new house) by Sunday evening. I was thrilled! The new house still looks plain, but decorations can wait. I can actually hang some frames up on the walls now! I wasn't interested to decorate our previous apartments/houses because I knew we weren't going to stay long. But we might stay here long enough, so I can make it look like a home. At least with photos on our walls.

My birthday was simple. The day was just one of those regular, mundane things. Jesse still went to work. Jesse had been busy all week (and the following week) at work for their fiscal year. It will always fall on my birthday... :'( I still took care of the kids, and did the usual things I do with them. After Jesse's work, we ate out as a family at the Asia Buffet restaurant for dinner.


The food was okay. They had some variety of food, but I only liked a few of what I tried. But everything I wanted and needed was there - my family. That's all that mattered.

For material things, Jesse set aside $100 for me as a birthday gift. My mother-in-law sent me a book called, "Heaven is Here" by Stephanie Nielson. 


She also sent me a $50 gift card from Michael's - my candyland store. My sister sent me a cute mug from shutterfly. 


My parents sent me some beauty product samples from the company where my dad works. Their employees are allowed to send a few to family members. Jesse's maternal grandfather sent me a birthday card, and so did his paternal grandparents. They also included a $40 check. So I used my $50 Michael's gift card and the $40 check to treat myself to some good stuff from Michael's - a Martha Stewart heating tool (for embossing), a desktop carousel, a circle cutter (different sizes of circles), a piercing mat for my Sew Easy stitch piercer tool (my alternative to sewing threads on cards because I don't have a sewing machine), and SewEasy needles. YAY!!! I'm so excited to try out sewing and embossing on cards. 

I can't remember how many times I've looked at my calculator to make sure I didn't go over ninety bucks. I even returned the clearance rubber stamps that I liked, thinking I went over by ten bucks. When I checked out, I only spent $75 (also used a 40% discount on the embossing heating tool). Aaaw! I should've kept the rubber stamps. :P

While I was shopping today at Michael's, I ran across a girl I knew from BYU-H. Small world! We were so surprised to see each other. She was just here on a vacation. Man, it felt good to hug someone familiar. I miss hug greetings.

For Jesse's birthday gift, he allowed me to go twenty bucks over his budget for me (Aaaw). Actually it came out thirty bucks over because of the shipping, but I really liked this table:

Sauder Sewing and Craft Table

It will arrive sometime in the next two weeks at the nearby Walmart store, and we'll pick it up from there. The left side of the table folds so you can store all your things inside. And Walmart was selling it with the cheapest price (based on the very short research I made). I know I don't have a sewing machine, but I can hide my Cricut underneath that table! :) And this table is $400 bucks cheaper than the first craft table I wanted - the Original Scrapbox EZ View Craft Scrapbooking Desk, which is ridiculously priced $600. It is a VERY NICE craft table, though! 

But the best part about my birthday wasn't the material presents. It was the love I felt through all my family members and relatives. It sounds cliche, but it is true. I really loved feeling all their love for me in this last two weeks. Jesse even sent me a text message in the middle of his work hours to remind me a "Happy Birthday." My siblings greeted me through our family group on Facebook. I really felt the love of my family and Jesse's family and his relatives as well. One of my favorites was being able to snuggle with my boys!

Here's to another year of happiness!

4 comments:

  1. Wow, you got some fun birthday gifts! Your table looks really neat! I recently started using my vanity table as my sewing table (since I never used it for vanity purposes :) )and it's so nice to have a place for crafty projects. I'm sure you'll love your table. I'm glad you had a happy birthday. I'm sorry we didn't get a card in the mail to you. On another note...is the Cricut difficult to use? The teacher I share a classroom with was given a Cricut by a friend of hers, but the teacher is completely not crafty at all so it has sat in a box for a year. So today we were talking and she said I am more than welcome to use it and so I'm going to attempt to make some letters for a bulletin board at school, but I'm wondering how difficult it is to learn to use the thing...any advice?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I would love to learn how to sew someday! And yes, it's nice to have a place for crafty projects. Our only tables in the house are our dining table and the computer table so I'm really excited to have a table for my crafts. I've send you a message on Facebook about the Cricut. Have fun with it! It's really fun to use!

      Delete
  2. I remembered after I sent the book that it was actually for helping me (actually you did it all, ha ha!)fix my blog! Thanks for sharing your expertise:) Hope you enjoy the book.
    Your craft table looks great! Glad you had a pleasant birthday!

    ReplyDelete
  3. happy birthday! sounds like it was a fun birthday week for you. :)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)