February 04, 2013

Filipino Leche Flan

Leche Flan is a sweet egg/milk custard that we Filipinos like to have for dessert besides fruits like the sweet yellow mango (mmm, miss those!).  Sometimes leche flan can also be mixed to other sweet treats like halu-halo.

I haven't made some in a long time. Practically months before we left Hawai'i in 2010. So I was kind of scared to do them again, thinking I might burn the "caramel."

Well, my husband told me the other day that Costco has 60 pcs. of large eggs for $8.00. And that day I was craving for some leche flan, I actually bought one from the Filipino store in Maryland Pkwy. So when he told me Costco has 5 dozen eggs for $8.00, I told him we should get it and I can make leche flan at least three times (36 eggs) and we'll still have enough eggs for regular meals.

So to Costco he did buy those eggs. Darn it's a lotta eggs! I googled some recipes because I wasn't sure if I remember it right. I only remembered the improvised steamer version of it, but I forgot the ingredients. After reading a few of the recipes, I came up with my own. So here's my own way of making it. It's not yet perfected, a lot of other people can make better batches. But mine tasted good enough. I also like how there weren't bubbles and the flan was creamy. My dad said the sweetness was just right.

Please excuse my poor grammar in the directions. Just hit me a comment if you have any question.




(serving size - 3 pans/llanera. Divide each mixture into the three pans/llanera).


CARAMEL:
1 cup sugar
1 cup water

CUSTARD:
12 egg yolks
1 (14. oz.) condensed milk
1 (12. o.z) evaporated milk
1 Tablespoon vanilla extract


* Preheat oven at 375 degrees F.

* Combine sugar and water in one boiling pan. Boil in low heat until sugar dissolves. Switch to medium heat and caramelize the mixture until the color turns amber - at least 10-15 minutes. Poor the caramel into the pans (try not to make it too deep or too high or too much), making sure you spread it to the side of the pans as well. Just line the pans with the caramel, basically.

* Mix the egg yolks, condensed milk, evaporated milk, and vanilla extract in a big bowl. Don't stir too hard to avoid too much bubbles from forming. Pour the mixture into the caramel-lined llanera/pans (or in a separate bowl first) by straining it through a cheesecloth or a fine-meshed strainer to capture the other solid particles and bubbles (I used a fine-meshed strainer). I find it easier to strain the mixture in a different bowl first before pouring it into the llaneras.

* Cover the llaneras with foil.

* Place llaneras in a larger baking pan half filled with water (or the water being as high as the custard in the llanera). Place pan in pre-heated oven, and bake for about 1 hour or until firm. Use the toothpick method to make sure it's done (the toothpick has to come out clean).

* Once you've taken the llaneras out of the oven, place a plate upside down on top of one of each llanera. Hold the plate and the llaneras tight together, then invert! I find it easier to do this if I put the llanera on top of a couple of pot holders first, then put the plate on top of the llanera upside down. I can then hold the pot holder and the plate together with the llanera sandwiched in-between them (because the llanera will be hot) before inverting.

* Let the flan swim in the caramel and enjoy! MMmmm!!!!

1 comment:

  1. Your flan looks so creamy! I will have to try it or better yet maybe you can make it for us:)

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)