February 11, 2013

This Is Me Challenge {Part 1}

I found this "pin" on Pinterest called "This Is Me Challenge." It's some kind of a challenge to write about yourself in your journal or personal history records or anything. I eventually want to add my answers to these questions in my binder of personal history records that I made in my class when I was in college. But I also thought to share some of them here in my blog - the not-need-to-be-kept-private ones.

Since she has a lot of suggested questions, I'm going to divvy up this post into several series. So here goes Part 1:

My Family

* What are the lessons you learned from your parents?

Several things:

(1) I learned that money doesn't REALLY matter. We grew up either not having enough or just having enough. Sure it's nice to have a little extra to spend here and there, especially in an emergency, but you don't have to be rich to enjoy each other's company or to be able to serve other people. There are so many more other ways to be able to do these and a lot of them are free! We didn't have fancy things at home when we were youngsters, but we had what we needed. Food, shelter, clothing, and each other.

(2) Have faith. Being poor, we always counted on faith. Faith is all we had to lean on to. And being faithful is always calming. It gives you a sense of hope. Just do what you need to do and leave the rest to the Lord. He will never leave us alone in our ordeals.

(3) Instant gratification doesn't satisfy, working for it does. If we wanted something either from them or from one of our siblings, we had to work for it. Most of the time, my payment is loads and loads and LOADS of laundry. And I'm telling you, it's the kind of laundry where I sat outside and rinsed them all by hand. Our washing machine only had a washer, it didn't rinse. And our dryers back home didn't dry clothes completely as how they would here in the United States. Once the dryer is done, we hung the clothes up outside on the clothesline. Too bad for us if the rain came too quickly and we didn't have time to get the clothes inside the house. When I finally finished working for what I wanted, it felt 10x better to receive it.

(4) Do housework. I remember when I was really young, around 6 years old maybe, when my mom used to have a chart of house chores to be done every day by someone in our house. The little ones like me had the easy chores, the older ones got the harder ones (like doing the dishes). This was taken away after a few arguments between siblings had been made, and by then we were old enough to do chores on our own without a chart.

(5) Listen to the counsels of Church leaders. We didn't miss a Sunday to go to Church either unless we were really sick. Modesty and chastity was taught to me and my sister as we grew up.

(6) Have family time. Lots of them. Growing up, my mom was always busy. She had a job outside the house, several callings at Church, and seven kids. When we were little, we always went out during the weekends. It was either to the Temple, to go swimming, or to go (window) shopping at the malls. Whichever as long as we're all together. Family time! And then when we grew up, she became a Stake Young Women President when I was in the YW Program, so we got to spend time with her as she did her calling especially for Youth Conferences. She was also our seminary teacher at some seminary classes. But we always tried to do some other family activities, like simply going out together, or playing games together, or the usual Sunday School answers: Family Home Evening, Family Prayer, and Family Scripture Study. Once in a while, a family council (or counsel?), too, which sometimes feels like someone's initiation day! xD

How about you? What did you learn from your parents from what they taught or did not teach you?

Part 2 coming soon. Oh and check out my family update in our family blog if you want.

2 comments:

  1. This is great! I wish my parents taught us how to do housework. I didn't learn until I went to BYUH. But one thing (out of many) that instantly came to mind was how they taught us to be generous. They never doubted or second-guessed sharing their abundance, or even when they had little. They always - ALWAYS - gave to people, whether it was their time, money, food, etc. I hope someday I would be as giving as them. Thanks for this reminder of how great our parents are!

    ReplyDelete
  2. Great lessons and post! One thing my parents taught me was to treat every human being with respect and that we are all equal.

    ReplyDelete

Comments make my day more awesome! :)